Monday, November 19, 2007

Feeling spaetzle


Contrary to popular belief, I'm a man who likes my sausages. And as a Wisconsin boy born and bred, German cuisine holds a special place in my heart. Of course, insofar as I want to keep that heart ticking for the next fifty or sixty years, I limit my intake of bratwurst and schnitzel to special occasions. But I'm sad to say that German (and Austrian) cuisine hasn't gotten much of a toe-hold out in NY. That's why I'm happy to have noticed a recent trend towards more German-accented food here. The New York Post featured a piece on the recent proliferation of Wiener Schnitzel in the city, and to add to the burgeoning Teutonic-mania, the Times ran a piece this Sunday about the burgeoning food scene in Germany--sure to have an effect on New York cuisine before too long.

No comments: