Sunday, April 6, 2008

Rice and Beans


The only chain restaurant that I eat at more than once a year is Chipotle. I hate to admit it, but the quality is consistent, and you can custom make your burrito, creating a relatively healthy option if you so desire. But thanks to an article in this month's Fast Company mag, I'm actually feeling retroactively less guilty about my fast food weakness. It turns out that Chipotle has a pretty good record when it comes to sustainable ingredients and humanely-raised livestock. I also like the CEO's relatively honest and refreshing outlook: if you charge a bit more for a good reason, people will pay it. Of course, there are plenty of arguments for why it's not ideal to "scale up" organic ideals in all cases, but I do think that practically speaking, it can only help to have big companies with deep pockets and a lot of influence fighting the good fight. In a perfect world fast food probably wouldn't exist, but it's a fact of life, so a more sustainable, ethical model can only help move things in the right direction.

No comments: